Summer is finally here. Time to celebrate the sun, the great outdoors and the season for fun! Get ready for 4th of July festivities and lots of impromptu summer BBQ’s without the uninvited guests – mosquitoes. Mosquito control is the goal of many a homeowner. Mosquitoes are not only an itchy nuisance, but they can also carry serious diseases. The good news for this summer is we’ve got some pro tips to help you keep your yard mosquito free for ultimate outdoor enjoyment.
Summer’s Here! Grab These Tips To Ward Off Mosquitoes!
It’s just a little itchy, who cares? Mosquitoes, unfortunately, cause more than an itchy (and annoying) red bump that goes away in a few days. These summer friends carry a multitude of potentially life threatening health problems, like the West Nile Virus and the Zika Virus, that make mosquito control an essential goal for homeowners in areas prone to heavy mosquito activity.
You guys aren’t welcome at my house! There are many small and easy to implement steps homeowners can take to prevent mosquitoes* from overtaking their home bound summer festivities.
- Don’t let standing water stand. Preventative steps like routinely checking your outdoor area for standing water is often overlooked but extremely helpful as mosquitoes thrive (and breed) in standing water. Standing water can pool up in potted plants, equipment that’s stored outside and storm drains – or any place that water can collect after summer rain showers.
- Torches set the mosquito-free mood. Citronella torches and candles strategically placed where you spend most of your outdoor time can help reduce the appearance of mosquitoes during use.
- When in doubt, set a mosquito trap. One mosquito magnet or trap has been estimated to control mosquitoes for up to an acre of property. The machine can be costly as it burns propane used to emit a stream of carbon dioxide which attracts mosquitoes, but can definitely provide another option for mosquito control.
My lawn can keep them away, wait what, how? If you’ve been wishing, hoping and searching for tips on how to get rid of mosquitoes, you might not have to look further than your very own garden. You can keep your yard mosquito free with some simple and beautifying tips from the pros at Spring-Green.
- Plant mosquito-repelling plants. Many beautiful and functional plant, herb and flower choices abound that can offer the dual function of beauty as well as a repellent. Some popular choices include Marigold, Horsemint, Ageratum and Catnip. You can plant these types of plants in the ground to repel mosquitoes or grow them in planters that become mobile, allowing you to bring them to wherever you are spending time in your yard.
- Keep your grass short. Every species of grass has a specified length that is best during different times of the year. Of course, you should always stay within those guidelines, but by keeping your grass short, you’ll also be ridding your yard of mosquitoes (at least some of them). The shorter grass offers less places for mosquitoes to breed, but keep in mind proper mowing guidelines.
- Hire a professional. If you follow all the tips but still have a mosquito problem facing you every summer, you don’t have to retreat indoors. A simple phone call to your local lawn care professional at Spring-Green can get you loving the summer again. Have more fun outdoors without being bothered by these pesky insects. Our mosquito protection service* creates a barrier around your home to control the mosquito population and allow you to enjoy summer outdoors without worry or discomfort.
It’s summer which also means it’s mosquito breeding season, but that doesn’t mean we have to retreat indoors at the first sign of these pesky menaces. By following a few easy “best practices,” you can master mosquito control this summer to increase your fun and protect your family.
Spring-Green has been your neighborhood lawn care professional since 1977, and this summer is no exception. Count on us for all your lawn care and landscaping needs. Our professional mosquito control services create a barrier around your home that keeps pests away and keeps your family safe.
Schedule your mosquito control service today!
*Not available in all locations